Wednesday, August 15, 2012

DIY: Jewelry Redo

Don't be so quick to get rid of those older pieces of jewelry you never wear anymore! Here's a fun and easy way to revive those old pieces of jewelry with new life.  Or take that impulse buy you have since lost interest in and make it into something you'll actually wear.
Take a look at some of my old items, although pretty, have become boring to me over the years never to be worn again. This "jewelry redo" took about the time it takes to paint my nails, and I can't WAIT to put these on! The secret... nailpolish!
Don't you just love those DIY projects you can do immediately? No need to go to the crafts store. Just grab some of that polish and get creative! I put 2-3 coats of super cheap ($0.99) white nailpolish as a base; allow to dry completely between coats.  Then add color.
I happen to be a huge fan of the ombre trend and I also adore oceanic colors, so I went with both. I started in the middle with the in-between shade (turquoise). I then blended above and below with the lighter green (mint) on top, the darker blue at the bottom and blend, blend, BLEND. Using a cheap makeup sponge helps do the trick. It doesn't need to be perfect because no one will notice but you.
I'm so glad I was able to enjoy these pieces then, and can adore them even more now. I like the fact that the polish leaves such a shiny finish (and I didn't even use a top coat). I also can use the same shade(s) on my nails if I really want to coordinate. Best part is, I have the ability to take most pieces of jewelry (ie. very inexpensive) and customize them to what I like instead of limiting myself to what someone else created. Now my accessories evolve with my own style and without spending hardly a thing.
If you're like me, you have alot of polishes to choose from which makes this "jewelry redo" even more fun! The possibilities are virtually limitless.
This is also a good way to use up some of those old polishes you have lying around that you don't wear on your nails anymore.

I can't wait to get my hands on more of my old pieces :) Just make sure with the bigger earrings that you paint the back (either the same color/s or different ones)!

No comments:

Post a Comment