Thursday, October 11, 2012

Eating In: Perfect Rice Using the Microwave


My mom taught me how to do this years ago and it NEVER FAILS! There's no need to go out and buy a rice cooker or sit over a hot stove to make sure it comes out perfect. All you need is a casserole dish, rice and water. I LOVE Jasmine rice, but this will work with any rice. However, with brown or wild rice, you will want to add 5-10 minutes or so to the cook time depending on your microwave.

Take 1 cup of uncooked (Jasmine) rice and pour into your dish. Add 2 cups of water. Basically you're working with a 1:2 ratio. For every cup of uncooked rice, you want to add double the amount of liquid (ie. water or chicken broth). 1 cup of uncooked rice is enough for 2 people. You can add salt or use chicken broth instead of water, but I like mine au natural and paired with a flavorful side dish, such as my Crock Pot Chicken Curry. DO NOT PUT THE LID ON. Leave uncovered and put in the microwave. For my particular microwave, I set it for 25-27 minutes. If cooking Jasmine rice, the aroma will begin to fill the air. Once it's done, remove (careful, it's HOT so use an oven mitt) and fluff with a fork. You can cover it with the lid now to keep it nice and warm.

This formula always produces the best rice and it's so EASY! Give it a try and I promise you'll love it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment